Category: Artist Studio

Self-Build New Art Studio – part 4

By , 12/06/2017 4:02 pm

I chose to clad the art studio with larch because it is affordable and very long-lasting. However, I was careful to source locally grown larch and also used a local company to machine the cladding and finishing details to order. And as I liked the wood colour I coated all the cladding with Osmo with protects against UV and algae – it is not cheap! I had to use stainless steel nails for fixing – even galvanised nails can react with the larch.

Finally, the studio is watertight:

Art studio with larch cladding

I opted for plywood for internal cladding and got a bit arty colour-washing some panels. From the start I planned to run the electrics through galvanised conduit trunking with matching ceiling roses and boxes. I ran all the wiring and then paid a sparky to wire-up the consumer box and add the circuit to the meter and off course get a certificate. I managed to source enamel light shades that match the yellow colour-wash and galvanised brackets for plywood shelves. And searching online, I found some cheap, easy to clean oil paint off, laminate flooring.


I built units for books, CDs and vinyl and worktop to hold my deck and Sonos system (that is linked to the house).


Pretty much done, the stove is in and I have added a step:


Big thanks to all those who helped me!


Self-Build New Art Studio – part 3

By , 12/06/2017 3:18 pm

I investigated many types of roof finishes but finally decided on a EPDM rubber roofing membrane because it is; hard-wearing, reasonably priced, not to difficult to for a DIYer, works within the height restriction and comes in the size I required. Also, I managed to find a company that supplied the full kit; the rubber, glues and various trims.

Below, the roof and trims are done – the rubber just needs trimming off.

Art studio with EPDM roof and trims

Next, the door frame goes in:


And then the vapour barrier is stapled to the walls and ceiling:



Self-Build New Art Studio – part 2

By , 12/06/2017 3:00 pm

Before I started the studio self-build I sat down and worked out what I wanted in the building and how I would position electric sockets. Top of my list was somewhere to store my art materials, also my CD and vinyl collection and a deck to play them on. It had to have good lighting but too many areas to loose heat, so opted for wide patio doors that face north and then lots of sockets so I have the option to switch from mood lighting to daylight bulbs for painting. Another necessity was heating and I set my heart on a log burner – although this would mean a compromise on space.

Another part of the planning consideration was height – it had to be within the permitted height of 2.5m. I spent a lot of time drawing plans on scaled graph paper and double checking material sizes. It was bit of a learning curve and a lot of watching YouTube about various construction techniques.

Images below show the build developing – the sub-floor has gone down and now the walls are going up:

Constructing Art Studio walls

Three of the garden room walls are up

Next, we stapled a breathable membrane to the OSB cladding, then nailed vertical battens to allow airflow (with angle cut to the base of each to direct moisture away) and then it was time to put up the roof joists.


Perhaps the worst job of all was cutting and fitting the insulation – it get everywhere. Below I have insulated the walls and now nail-gunning the roof boards:



Self-Build New Art Studio – part 1

By , 12/06/2017 12:59 pm

About two years ago, due to redevelopment and sale of the farm, I lost access to my sculpture studio and have since struggled to get much work done. In addition, my wife and I purchased a camper-van and decided to spend time travelling across Europe – more on this another time.

Whilst travelling and over a few glasses of wine my wife and I decided that I needed a studio in the garden, so after much mulling things over and having looked at the prices of off-the-shelf garden rooms, I decided to design and build my own.

After clearing an area and consolidating the ground I finally started, and after much deliberation, I chose to use QuickJACK brackets and bearing plates for the base as they are very eco friendly, easy to level and much faster than a concrete base – I think I went way over the recommended supports but better safe than sorry. I used regularised timber (C16 and C24) throughout for all structural work and, as luck would have it, a local supplier a really big discount on structural and facing timber. However, this meant to make the most of the savings (the offer only lasted a month) I had order in bulk instead of ordering as I needed which in turn meant I had store lots timber. Moreover, the timber needed to be covered and off the ground.

As I wanted electrics in the studio i dug a deep trench and ran armoured cabling from a point close to where the household meter is and to roughly where I envisaged the consumer unit to be position in the studio.

Next with the help of a friend and my son (along with plenty of encouragement, copious amounts of tea and snacks from my wife) I made up the base which included Celotex insulation and boarded over with SmartPly OSB and lot of nails.

Art Studio insulated base


Panorama Theme by Themocracy